First Capital Connect are in the process of delivering a broad range of improvements to ensure that our stations meet the high standards that passengers expect whilst preserving the unique character of each individual station.
By late 2014, we will have completed our Better Stations programme, a network wide improvement scheme carried out in collaboration with the DfT, Network Rail and local authorities across the south and east of England.
At the core of the Better Stations programme are five initiatives:
- Creating a more pleasant environment: We want to provide better station facilities, so you have access to a pleasant environment. To do this we are providing new equipment such as shelters, public address systems and customer information screens. We will also continue to maintain platforms surfaces, subways and ticket vending machines.
- Being greener: We want to encourage more people to cycle to our stations in order to reduce congestion and pollution in the communities. This is why we are planning to introduce even more cycle parking schemes over the next year.
- More accessible: We will continue to work with partner organisation to deliver even more DDA facilities such as stair nosing, seating, and new lifts at certain stations.
- Better parking: We are continuing to improve car parking at many stations and planning payment for parking through the use of mobile phone technology, giving you the choice to pay when it is more convenient for you.
- Delivering passenger information when you need it: We want to provide you with timely and accurate information whenever you need it and are working on the next phase of intelligent service alerts so you know what travel options are available to you, including alerts for London Underground and journeys on more than one train.
What we have done to date
Over the last few years, we have gradually upgraded the stations you use through a number of schemes.
Facilities have been improved through:
- Installation of ticket vending machines to reduce queues at ticket offices Introduction of gatelines to reduce fare evasion
- A new cleaning regime for stations, ensuring they are always pleasant for you Adding more than 2000 cycle parking spaces at stations
- Adding more than 1200 car parking spaces Providing enhanced accessibility for all customers through new lifts and ramps at stations
- Re-lamping, re-lining, upgraded stairs and car park lighting for greater security
We have also improved the way we communicate, with:
- Service information made available on our ‘mobile website’ via WAP, GPRS and 3G mobile phones
- Service updates can be obtained via our twitter service, we have circa 35,000 followers
- Free email and sms alerts are available to registered users, we have circa 4000 registered users 36 extra service information screens at stations
To ensure the safety and security of passengers, we have:
- Installed 1500 CCTV cameras providing 24/7 coverage at all our stations to improve the security of our buildings and to safeguard our passengers’ interest
- Added help points to all 74 of our managed stations.
- Reduced crime by 37% in the seven years we have operated this franchise
If you have any queries about the work being undertaken on the
First Capital Connect network, please contact our customer relations team by phone on 0845 0264700 (open 7 days a week from 7am to 10pm) or by email at email@example.com.
For work that is being carried out by Network Rail and its contractors, contact Network Rail on 08457 11 41 41.
For journey information please check our journey planner here.
Thank you for your patience during the upgrade of your network.